Homeward Bound of WNC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency working in Buncombe and Henderson Counties. We end homelessness by moving people into permanent housing and providing the support that they need to stay there.
Our mission is working with others to end the cycle of homelessness.
Homeward Bound began in 1988 as Hospitality House, opening its doors to serve the growing homeless population through long-term emergency shelter. In 2006, Hospitality House became Homeward Bound of WNC, and shifted its focus from managing homelessness with shelter to ending homelessness with permanent housing, utilizing the best practice model of Housing First.
We’re the community leader in best practices to end homelessness, and have been using the Housing First model since 2006. The Housing First model has been proven to be the most effective, cost-efficient, sustainable, and humane intervention to homelessness. Essentially this means people experiencing homelessness are housed as quickly as possible and offered case management services to provide support and resources to help maintain housing stability.
Since 2006, we’ve moved over 1,750 men, women, and children out of cars, camps, and shelters into permanent housing. We have an 89 percent retention rate in housing.
We envision a day when the poor and vulnerable among us will no longer be ignored but treated with compassion and decency.
We envision a day when any homeless person, regardless of psychiatric disabilities, substance abuse problems, medical issues, or financial poverty, can move directly into service-enriched permanent housing and become a productive member of society.
- We believe in the absolute value and worth of every single human being.
- We believe that housing is a basic human right, integral to self-worth and dignity.
- We believe that homelessness is a solvable problem.
- We believe that all services should be offered with respect and empathy, in the spirit of hope and recovery.
- We believe that we are successful as an organization when one individual takes one step forward on the journey home.