Landlord relationships literally open doors for our clients.
Landlord Partnership Program
By providing the housing inventory to individuals and families moving out of homelessness, our landlord partners – including individual private owners, larger developers and property management groups – are critical partners in our mission to end homelessness. Our Housing staff works directly with landlords to keep units filled and provide support with tenant management. The relationships we build with our landlord partners are equally as important to us as those we build with our clients.
Guaranteed Timely Rent Payments
Many of our clients are on long-term programs for which Homeward Bound pays all or the majority of the rent. Short-term programs offer tiered support to clients who are set up for success in managing rent payments on their own.
Financial Incentives For landlords
- Double security deposits (equal to 2 month’s rent for a 12-month lease)
- Move-in bonuses for each unit as a form of gratitude to landlords and for consideration in offering flexibility in tenant background screenings
- Funds to cover the costs of any repairs/ upfits that must be made for units to pass HQS Inspection
- Hold fees to cover vacancy costs between the Inspection pass date and lease signing date
- Risk mitigation funds to cover damages incurred during tenancy or post move-out that may exceed the double security deposit
- Housing stability bonuses for a 12-month lease renewal with a tenant
- Referral bonuses to landlords who introduce a peer landlord to our program
A Waiting List To Fill Vacant Units
We have clients waiting on housing which decreases the days a unit is vacant. Our support can speed up the leasing process and avoid the hassle of advertising online.
Housing Quality Standards Inspections
Housing Specialists conduct an initial Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection at move-in and repeat this annually. In addition to these formal inspections, housing staff will visit all units quarterly to proactively identify and address any tenant issues, unit maintenance needs, or lease violations.
Case Management For Tenants
Tenants receive ongoing case management focused on housing stability. Case Managers will train and support clients in cultivating positive relationships with landlords and neighbors, financial management and timely rent payments, housekeeping, and accessing other community resources as needed.
Housing Team Support For Landlords
Our Housing team includes a Housing Placement Manager and four Housing specialists who are available for landlords to contact with any issues or concerns. Housing Specialists will communicate landlord feedback to tenants and case managers, who will work together on identifying solutions. Plus, if one of our clients moves out of a unit, Homeward Bound ensures that the unit is empty of belongings and cleaned before returning keys to the landlord.
We need partners like you.
If you have have units available to rent at a Fair Market Rate in Asheville or Buncombe County and are willing to be flexible with tenants that have rental barriers including credit issues, a past eviction and/or criminal background, please contact us:
Monday – Friday, 8am to 5pm:
(Voicemails/emails returned within one business day)
Home is Key
Take a tour of Home is Key with Jim Lowder