Items critically needed at this time include: Camping gear, toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, disinfectant cleaning supplies including wipes, regular baby wipes, disposable gloves, towels, soap, underwear, socks, and unopened (without the seal broken) over-the-counter medications such as pain relievers and cold medicine.
The following items are needed for our emergency shelter at Harrah’s Cherokee Center in downtown Asheville. Donations can be dropped off on-site or at the Welcome Home Donation Center, details below.
- bottled water
- single serving packaged snacks, breakfast items, and Gatorade, sodas (especially coke), tea, juice
- washcloths and towels
- Lysol spray and wipes
- laundry soap
- socks & underwear
- toiletries (soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, feminine products, shaving cream etc)
- games, puzzles, and books
At this time, Homeward Bound accepting food items for our clients in housing who cannot afford it any more. Food donations can only be dropped off between 9am to noon.
- Canned meals like Chili, Ravioli, and Spaghetti O’s.
- Spaghetti sauce and pasta
- canned meat (except for tuna) ham, spam, chicken, and Hormel completes
- dried beans, rice, and pasta
- Soups, chili and stews
- mac and cheese that does not require milk,
- canned vegetables and fruits
- fresh vegetables that do not require refrigeration
- Fresh fruits that do not require refrigeration
- any kind of breakfast bar, belvita, oatmeal
- Peanut butter
- Cooking oil
- Instant mash potatoes
- Instant tea and lemonade
Donors may drop them off any time of day at our Welcome Home Donation Center at 205 Elk Park Drive, but preference is for between 9am to noon, in outside the front door and placed in the donation bins. In an effort to promote social distancing and to curb any potential spread of illness, donation center doors will not be open to the public and donated items will be sanitized upon receipt.
Watch the video below to hear Meredith Switzer’s interview with Taylor from WLOS. If you cannot drop off items for the donation drive at 205 Elk Park Drive in Woodfin, please consider a monetary donation to Homeward Bound.